RAID now has an Eco awareness manual that we call ECOLOGICAL. This is a fantastic manual and it can be used for divers and non-divers. There are 2 courses loaded into the system, one is for divers and one is for non-divers. An ECOLOGICAL Instructor can teach both courses. The divers course has 2 dives added into an open water manual. The non-divers course just has the academic manual.
We have an in-house Marine Biology and Marine Conservation team located in our Dibba Fujairah operation, led by a qualified marine biologist. We have set up a specific training area, incorporating laboratory equipment, as well as numerous conservation projects in the area. The RAID Ecological Diver course is the foundation qualification to join our marine conservation and biology initiatives.
The academic manual focuses on:
• The goals and challenges of marine conservation
• A holistic understanding of the ocean environment
• Anthropogenic, or human-caused threats to the ecosystem
• Current conservation strategies including proactive methods of repairing damage and the value of premeditated efforts influenced by monitoring and evaluation
• How scientific efforts influence policy
• Systemic behavioural changes that can accelerate conversation efforts
In the Open Water manual there are the following:
· Buoyancy and trim exercises
· Buoyancy control on the bottom
· Finning frog kick and modified flutter
· Observation exercises